Are you unemployed in Germany? Looking to start an exciting new career in the tech industry? You could retrain for free with a Bildungsgutschein—here’s how.
A Bildungsgutschein is a voucher which allows you to study for free. With the right course, you can master the most in-demand skills that employers are looking for—like UX and UI design. In this post, we’ll explain exactly what a Bildungsgutschein is and show you, step by step, how to apply for one. We’ll also show you how you can start an exciting new career as a UX or UI designer with the help of a Bildungsgutschein and a CareerFoundry program.
- What is a Bildungsgutschein?
- Who is eligible for a Bildungsgutschein?
- Is there a Bildungsgutschein for people who are working?
- What CareerFoundry courses can you take with a Bildungsgutschein?
- How to apply for a Bildungsgutschein
- How will a Bildungsgutschein help you land a job?
- Bildungsgutschein success stories
- Key takeaways and next steps
1. What is a Bildungsgutschein?
A Bildungsgutschein is a voucher issued by the German Agentur für Arbeit (the job center) which allows you to study for free. Funded by the German government, it enables you to learn new skills which will help you get back into the job market if you’re unemployed, or to obtain qualifications that are crucial to your current line of work. So, if you find yourself unemployed or facing the prospect of unemployment, you can apply for a Bildungsgutschein and use it to take a course of your choosing—as long as it’s with a provider approved by the Agentur für Arbeit. We’ll take a look at the CareerFoundry courses you can take with a Bildungsgutschein in section four.
What other costs are covered with a Bildungsgutschein?
In addition to the full cost of your chosen course, a Bildungsgutschein may also cover the following:
- Travel expenses to and from your home and the educational institution
- Accommodation (if you are required to stay away from home as part of your chosen course)
- Childcare costs
Bear in mind that the above expenses will not be covered when you take a CareerFoundry course; our programs are entirely online, so there’ll be no need to travel. Any unemployment benefits you’re already receiving will not be affected by the Bildungsgutschein—you’ll continue to receive them as normal. You can learn more about the costs covered by the Bildungsgutschein here.
2. Who can apply for a Bildungsgutschein?
To be eligible for a Bildungsgutschein, you must be resident in Germany and have completed the official registration process (the “Anmeldung,” where you register your address at the local “Bürgeramt”). Aside from that, you may be eligible for a Bildungsgutschein if:
- You are currently unemployed
- You are currently employed but facing the prospect of unemployment
- You require further training in order to ensure job security in your current employment
- You require further training in order to make up for a “missing” qualification which is relevant to your line of work
It’s important to bear in mind that even if you meet the above criteria, you’re not guaranteed to receive a Bildungsgutschein, and CareerFoundry has no influence over the decision. Once you’ve gone through the application process, the decision ultimately lies with your local job center. We’ll show you how to apply for a Bildungsgutschein in section five.
3. Is there a Bildungsgutschein for working people?
If you’re currently employed, you’ll only be considered for a Bildungsgutschein if your job is not secure and you’re likely to face unemployment in the near future. If your job is secure and you just want to complete some further training, you will not be eligible for a Bildungsgutschein.
4. What CareerFoundry courses can you take with a Bildungsgutschein?
Here at CareerFoundry, both our User Experience (UX) Design and User Interface (UI) Design programs are available for free with a Bildungsgutschein. Our programs are designed to prepare you for a career in the tech industry; you’ll build a professional portfolio and learn the practical skills needed to get hired as a designer. Not sure whether to study UX or UI design? Read about each below.
Study UX design with your Bildungsgutschein
User experience, or UX, refers to any kind of interaction a user has with a product or service. A good user experience is seamless and easy to navigate, while a bad user experience leaves you feeling frustrated and unable to complete your desired task. Think about booking a flight online or finding a certain item in your local supermarket; the quality of the experience depends on the overall design of the website or the store. UX designers consider all the elements that shape the user journey, combining market research, product development, strategy, and creativity to solve specific user problems. If you’d like to learn more about UX and what it entails, have a read through the following:
The CareerFoundry UX Design Program will take you from complete beginner to job-ready designer in a matter of months. The program is offered entirely online, but you won’t be going it alone; you’ll have the support of both an expert mentor and a tutor, as well as tailored coaching from a career specialist. The course takes just over five months to complete on a full-time basis (40 hours per week) and up to ten-and-a-half months on a part-time basis (20 hours per week). And, with your Bildungsgutschein, it’s completely free. You can learn more about the CareerFoundry UX Design Program here.
Study UI design with your Bildungsgutschein
UI design encompasses all the visual and interactive properties of a digital user interface. Consider the apps and websites you use on a daily basis, and how you navigate from A to B using various buttons, swiping, and scrolling motions. Think of all the colors, images, animations, and fonts you encounter, and how the design adapts to different devices and screen sizes. All of these elements are created by a user interface designer. UI designers tend to be highly creative with a good eye for aesthetics, but they’re not only responsible for making things look pretty; it’s also important to have an interest in human users and how the visual design impacts the overall experience. You can learn more about UI design in the following guides:
With your Bildungsgutschein, you can take the CareerFoundry UI Design Program for free. As with the UX program, you’ll work with an expert mentor, tutor, and career advisor, and build your professional UI design portfolio. The program takes four months to complete on a full-time basis (40 hours per week) and up to eight months on a part-time basis (20 hours per week). Learn more about the UI Design Program here.
Is it completely free to take a CareerFoundry course with a Bildungsgutschein?
Yes! As long as you’ve got a valid Bildungsgutschein, the CareerFoundry UX and UI Design Programs are completely free. However, if you take the UI Design course, you will need to pay for Sketch. It’s also important to note that you can only take one training course per Bildungsgutschein. Once you’ve got your Bildungsgutschein, you’ll need to complete the CareerFoundry admissions process, which we’ve outlined in the next section.
5. How to apply for a Bildungsgutschein to study with CareerFoundry
If you’d like to apply for a Bildungsgutschein and study for free with CareerFoundry, there’s a process you’ll need to follow:
- Decide which CareerFoundry program you would like to take
- Make an appointment with your local Agentur für Arbeit (job center)
- Bring all the necessary documents to your appointment
- Complete the CareerFoundry admission process
- Start your course
Let’s go through each of these steps in more detail.
1. Decide which CareerFoundry course you would like to take
Before you apply for a Bildungsgutschein, it’s a good idea to have a particular training program in mind. It’s important to show the Agentur für Arbeit how a Bildungsgutschein will help you, and this will be easier if you’re able to talk about specific course outcomes and job prospects within your chosen field. If you’re not sure whether UX or UI is the better fit for you, spend some time researching each field and really getting to grips with what they entail. You can also try your hand at both with a free introductory short course:
2. Make an appointment with your local Agentur für Arbeit
To start the application process, you’ll need to schedule an appointment with your local Agentur für Arbeit. You can give them a call or simply pop in to your local center. To prepare for your appointment, be ready to talk about:
- How motivated you are to take a CareerFoundry program and start a new career in the tech field.
- Any connections or parallels between your professional background and the course you’re going to take. If you’ve worked in marketing, for example, you’ll be well-equipped for the user research aspect of UX design.
- The UX/UI design job market. If you can demonstrate that UX and UI designers are in high demand (which they are!), you’ll have a good case for getting a Bildungsgutschein. You’ll get an idea of how in-demand UX and UI designers are in these posts: Are UX designers in demand near you? and UI design industry outlook for 2020.
3. Bring all the necessary documents to your appointment with the Agentur für Arbeit
In addition to the above, you’ll also need to bring the following with you:
- A form of photo ID (passport or ID card)
- Proof of residence and registration in Germany (This is known as the “Anmeldebescheinigung”)
- An up-to-date copy of your resumé
- The CareerFoundry application guide and a personalized course proposal. You can find our UX application guide here and our UI application guide here. You can also fill out the UX course proposal here and the UI proposal here.
- The vocational identification number (Berufskennzahl) and measure number (Maßnahmennummer) for your chosen course. You’ll find these in the CareerFoundry application guide.
- A list of current job openings in your chosen field—you can bring screenshots from job sites such as indeed and LinkedIn.
If you do not speak German, it is advisable to bring a German speaker with you to your appointment. Please bear in mind that you’re not guaranteed to get a Bildungsgutschein—it’s at the discretion of your Agentur für Arbeit advisor.
4. Complete the CareerFoundry admission process
Once you’ve received your Bildungsgutschein, you’re ready to enroll on your chosen CareerFoundry course. To do this, we’ll ask you to:
- Complete a quick survey—this helps us get to know you better and make sure you’re a good match for the program you’ve chosen.
- Read and sign an information sheet. This contains everything you need to know about the program and how our partnership with the Agentur für Arbeit works.
- Complete an admissions test. Don’t worry, it’s not as serious as it sounds; we just want to make sure you know exactly what to expect from the course.
- Complete an English test—the minimum required level of English is B1.2.
- Send us a copy of your Bildungsgutschein.
5. Start your program
Once you’ve got your Bildungsgutschein and completed the CareerFoundry admission process, you’re ready to start your program! You’ll be given access to the online platform and assigned a one-to-one mentor and tutor. You’ll also receive ongoing support from your student advisors, our dedicated Bildungsgutschein team, and a community of fellow students and career-changers. In a matter of months, you’ll have learned all the key practical skills needed to get hired as a UX or UI designer, and you’ll have the professional portfolio—and the confidence—to show for it.
6. How will a Bildungsgutschein and a CareerFoundry course help you land a job?
Our mission at CareerFoundry is to train people for the in-demand tech careers of today and tomorrow—whether you’re a complete beginner or already have some relevant experience. Both our UX and UI design programs are based on extensive research into the job market and in-depth surveys with industry experts, and the course curricula have been designed to equip you with all the practical skills that employers look for—leaving you with a polished portfolio which showcases these skills.
In addition to project-based learning and continuous feedback from industry professionals, you’ll also have access to a free Job Preparation course. This has been designed to help you with every aspect of finding a job in the field; you’ll work with a one-to-one career specialist who will help you search for jobs, prepare for interviews, refine your LinkedIn profile, and develop an effective networking strategy. And, if you complete the Job Prep course, you’ll have access to our career support for another six months after you complete your UX or UI design program.
96% of eligible CareerFoundry graduates find a job within six months of completing their chosen program, and we’re confident that you can, too. But don’t just take our word for it; check out some of our favourite Bildungsgutschein success stories in the next section.
7. Bildungsgutschein success stories
Here at CareerFoundry, we’ve helped hundreds of people retrain and start exciting new careers in the tech industry. Many of our successful graduates have used the Bildungsgutschein to study for free and land a job shortly after—like Nimet, a former account manager who now works as a UX/UI designer at a well-known price comparison site, and Alexander, a former business admin professional who now works as a UX designer at a creative agency.
Sharing her experience as a Bildungsgutschein career-changer, Nimet says:
“Before studying with CareerFoundry, I considered just applying for jobs as a UX designer and learning on the job. I’m so glad I didn’t do that because I would’ve made a total fool of myself. Many people learn the lingo and dive into the field without truly learning the process and the discipline. CareerFoundry trained me in practical tools like Sketch, but I was also trained not to assume that what works for me will necessarily work for others. I’m still learning so many new things on the job, but CareerFoundry taught me enough to feel so confident in what I do.”
Alexander, meanwhile, highlights the value of the Job Prep Course:
“Doing the course is one thing, but the real challenge is taking everything you’ve learned on the course and applying it to a new career. UX design isn’t like any other vocation. It’s not just going to work and doing the 9 to 5; it’s what you do outside of your working hours—how you improve and how you network. There’s a lot more to it, and the job prep course really gets you ready for that.”
You can read Nimet and Alexander’s full career-change stories here:
- How I retrained as a UX designer for free with a Bildungsgutschein: An interview with Nimet
- How I landed my dream job in UX for free: An interview with Alexander
8. Key takeaways and next steps
As you can see, the Bildungsgutschein offers an excellent opportunity to learn new skills and future-proof your career—completely free of charge. If you’d like to learn more about applying for a Bildungsgutschein and studying with CareerFoundry, see our comprehensive information pack here. Keen to learn more about UX and UI design? Check out the following:
What You Should Do Now
- Check out one of our free design or development courses.
- Become a qualified UX designer, UI Designer, or web developer in less than a year—complete with a job guarantee.
- Talk to a Career Advisor to discuss career change and find out which fields are best for you.
- Learn about our graduates, see their portfolio projects, and find out where they’re at now.
If you enjoyed this article then so will your friends, why not share it...