To the uninitiated, the world of data analytics might seem like one big discipline. That’s actually far from the truth.
In reality, data analytics is a rich and varied field with many distinct roles, each of which carefully balances a breadth of core skills with specializations in a particular area of expertise.
If you want to uncover what kind of data analyst are you, our Data Roles Careers Quiz can help.
Whether you’re passionate about sports, big on business, or fascinated by machine learning, our quiz aims to reveal your dominant data analyst persona.
Along with personalized career path recommendations, the quiz will help you gain clarity and direction to help guide you in your future career search.
Ready to find out which data analyst role you might thrive in? Let’s find out.
1. Which data role is right for you? The quiz
Our Data Roles Career Quiz consists of ten multiple-choice questions designed to assess your skills and interests and their relevance to various data careers. You should be able to complete the test in approximately 5 minutes.
Before we start, it’s important to note that all data analysts—regardless of role or seniority—require some core skills and knowledge. These include things like statistics, programming, database management, data visualization, and critical thinking, to name a few.
While each role has different responsibilities, what primarily sets them apart are individual personality traits and characteristics.
So although this quiz will ask data-related questions, the main focus will be on your interests, responses to unique work situations, and soft skills, rather than the hard technical skills you’ll need regardless of the career path you take.
With all that in mind, let’s get started!
2. Next steps
So there you have it! You’ve completed our Data Roles Careers Quiz, and should now have a clearer idea of which data career might suit you.
While the quiz provides an initial indication of where your skills might lead, now you’ve identified your dominant data analyst persona, here are a few steps to consider:
- Research and explore the specific data analyst role (or roles) that resonate with you the most. This will help you gain a better understanding of the skills required and how the role relates to different industries.
- Develop your data analytics skills via online courses, tutorials, and practical projects, being sure to focus on the skills required for your preferred role.
- To kick things up a level, taking a full data bootcamp or program will help get you in the right place to start specializing. Fully mentored options like the CareerFoundry’s Data Analytics Program will give you the experienced support you need to make it in the industry.
- Once you’ve got the basics down, why not start a portfolio? This is a great way to showcase your data analytics accomplishments, projects, and skills.
- Consider attending industry events and conferences, or using online platforms like LinkedIn, to connect with like-minded professionals in the field.
- Try to gain practical experience, perhaps by taking on an internship, part-time role, or a volunteer or freelance project or two.
- Always stay on top of the latest industry news and technological advances to keep your skills fresh and stay ahead of the competition.
If you’re looking for a more in-depth guide to the basics, check out our full guide for how to become a data analyst.
Of course, exactly how you proceed from here will depend on your aspirations and career objectives. While our quiz will focus your attention, the choice is ultimately yours!
Want to learn more about different possible data analytics careers, as well as the basic skills? Then check out this free 5-day data analytics short course or read the following articles: